• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

General Information Packet and Take-Home Bags

I have gotten a few questions about what I give the parents at the beginning of the school year.  I am posting my General Information Packet for you to look through.  I find that creating a packet saves me time because it clearly explains things to the parents.  I don’t get notes asking me the same thing over and over.  If I do find myself getting more than one note asking for clarification on something, I make sure to either clarify that in the packet or if it is not already in the packet, I add it to the packet.  I place the packet in a folder (the penny ones from Staples), along with the class list and class directory.  For more of my organizational forms, check out my Back to School Organizational Forms & More packet on Tpt.  I have just added a page to my Back to School Organizational Forms & More that includes a link to bare-bones editable versions of many of the pages.  Please, re-download if you have already purchased this packet.

To check out my General Information Packet, click the cover picture below.  Feel free to use my packet as a guide for creating one for your own classroom.

Click {here} to purchase the editable file from TpT 🙂
Here is my Back to School Organizational Forms Packet, if you would like to check it out on TpT:

In my general information packet, I explain the take-home bags that I utilize throughout the school year.  I feel that the take-home bags enhance the home-school connection and are a great way to make the students feel special.  The summer is the perfect time of year for teachers to put these bags together.

I have created packets for all of my take home bags except for the Nursery Rhyme Bag.  If I get enough requests for it, I will work on it during the summer.  I will also take requests for other classroom mascot bags.

Click on the covers to check these packets out on TpT!

   
SkippyJon is available at Kohl’s along with his books and a cute bag! 
 

My free Take-Home Bag Packets:

 

In the past, I decorated canvas bags or had my grandmother sew a patterned ones for me.  Now, I use these clear totes from Amazon.com.  I find they are easier to keep clean and hold up better.  Plus, I like that they have zippers.  Click on the picture below to check them out.

I use a class list record form to keep track of who has what bag.  I put the date the student takes a bag home in the row with his/her name and under the column for the bag title.  I keep this list in the front of my plan book.  I highlight the date when the bag is returned to school.
I have three bags/journals that we share on Mondays: Star of the Week, Scaredy Squirrel,  the Guinea Pig Journal.   I don’t do “Show and Tell,” instead I have these bags that we share.  The students and parents write in the journals and include photographs.  After the student shares his/her bag, he answers three questions from the crowd. 
We share the Lost Tooth Bag and the Birthday Bag the day the student brings it back.  I ask that they only keep them one to two nights because other students will be needing them.  
I am always the first Star of the Week and I leave my poster up for “Meet the Teacher Night.”  This gives the parents an opportunity to learn a bit more about me.  The next Star of the Week is a randomly picked student.  He/she gets the Star of the Week bag on a Thursday night and they return it to school with the completed poster and photos on Monday morning.  They are then the Star of the Week for the entire week. The next Star of the Week is the next student in alphabetical order.  Click {here} to read my complete post on Star of the Week. 
For the classroom mascot, Scaredy Squirrel, I start at the beginning of the alphabet and work back.  The students get Scaredy on Thursday or Friday and return him to school on Monday.  
The Guinea Pig Journal goes home with the guinea pigs for the weekend/holiday.  The parents sign up for a weekend or holiday to take the guinea pigs.  For more information, click {here} for my free Critters in the Classroom packet.
The extra take-home packs, Dr. Seuss and The Nursery Rhyme Bag, go home starting at random points in the alphabet.  Students can choose not to take these bags home and parents can choose to return them to school without completing the activities inside.  These are completely optional bags.  I don’t want something that is supposed to be fun, turn into a burden.  However, if a student and family chooses to complete the activities in the bag, the student earns a prize for doing the extra work.  These bags are not shared in class, since the activities are not journal type activities.  

For more detailed posts on my take-home bags and their contents, click {here}!

I hope you found something useful!  As always, you have permission to Pin anything on my blog, as long as you link it back.  If you are done with the school year, enjoy your summer!  In NY we usually go until the end of June.  Our last day is June 22nd!

Filed Under: Back to School, Free Downloads, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Trouble Opening TpT Files?
Next Post: Beth Finke Author Visit »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Jessica Stanford

    May 22, 2012 at 2:10 am

    Wow! These look great! Thanks for sharing 🙂

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog is Having a Giveaway!
    My TpT Store

  2. Rochell

    May 22, 2012 at 2:14 am

    Permission to pin please? Thanks!

    Rochell

    • Erica Bohrer

      May 22, 2012 at 2:26 am

      Feel free to pin away!

  3. Miss J

    May 22, 2012 at 2:14 am

    Thank you so much for sharing your general info. packet!! I was just looking for a template today :).

    Miss J

    ❤Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

  4. Lisa R.

    May 22, 2012 at 2:25 am

    Erica, you are the best! Thanks for posting your general packet. I think that will be a great addition to how I prepare my parents for first grade!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

  5. Miss Kindergarten

    May 22, 2012 at 2:27 am

    Yes!! I get out one day before you! lol

  6. applesandabcs

    May 22, 2012 at 2:50 am

    I LOVE how organized you are! The packets are amazing! One day I will get that organized! 😉
    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

  7. Lohren Nolan

    May 22, 2012 at 2:56 am

    Love the clear plastic totes! I will have to switch mine out this summer!

    Totally Terrific Teaching Tools

    Lohren Nolan

  8. Miss DeCarbo

    May 22, 2012 at 2:58 am

    Love your take-home bag ideas! 🙂

    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

  9. Eileen Griffin

    May 22, 2012 at 3:03 am

    Thank you for sharing, Erica. I love the bags!
    Eileen Griffin
    Second Grade Sunshine

  10. Karyn

    May 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm

    Thanks for sharing this Erica! I also wanted you (and your readers) to know that your "Just-Right Reding Response Activity Sheets for Young Learners" is available in the Really Good Stuff catalog! You're a rockstar! :o)

  11. Kristen

    May 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm

    This is all awesome Erica!! I don't know how you do it, you are like wonder woman! We get out the 22nd of June too 🙂

    • Erica Bohrer

      May 23, 2012 at 12:36 am

      Kristen! How do you read all these posts? I cannot keep up with all the blogs out there.

  12. Leslie Ann

    May 23, 2012 at 12:32 am

    I'm behind on reading your latest post…y'all get out in June?????? We are out next week. I can't believe y'all stay that late. When do you start back in the fall?

    • Erica Bohrer

      May 23, 2012 at 12:37 am

      Haha, we don't go back until after Labor Day. So, I don't really mind going until June 22. The weather is not hot here yet anyway.

  13. Sarah

    May 23, 2012 at 12:56 am

    Erica ~ How many book bags do you have? Do you have different themes / topics over the academic year? How do you cycle them! I LOVE the idea, I just dont now how / what I need to really make it operation in a class of 22 families for the next academic year. Thoughts? Ideas?! Tips!

    Thanks!! (Happy Almost Summer! 5 days left for us!! Woot! Woot!)
    Sarah
    shetrick@gmail.com

    • Erica Bohrer

      May 23, 2012 at 1:47 am

      I just added a few more details to the post for you!

  14. Unknown

    May 23, 2012 at 3:55 am

    Thanks for sharing with us all your great ideas! I definitely want to do a class mascot bag for next year. I plan on thinking through some of your other bag ideas once school gets out. Thanks again! ~Heidi V

  15. Mrs. K

    May 23, 2012 at 4:12 am

    Thank you so much for sharing Erica! I'm going to put all of these on my wishlist and (probably buy them sometime this summer) and then work on it for next year. I'm in California and we are still in school until June 21st so I feel you!!

    – sally

  16. Dana Lester

    May 24, 2012 at 1:31 am

    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Dana
    http://www.funin1stgrade.blogspot.com

  17. Jennifer

    May 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm

    I have never done take home bags, but after reading this post, I am going to start next year! Thanks for these great ideas!

    Delighted in Second

  18. Ms. Giella

    June 2, 2012 at 12:39 am

    Love your take home packets. I'm actually in the middle of redoing mine since we go some awesome new materials from Lakeshore via DonorsChoose.org.

    Feel free to follow my blog so you can check mine out when I post them!

    http://freshandfunfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

  19. MyDarlin

    June 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm

    Your ideas look amazing! I bet the kids and parents love you for your creative learning style! Thanks for sharing these ideas!

  20. Jan

    August 4, 2012 at 3:28 am

    Love all your different ideas! Thanks for sharing:-)

  21. Anonymous

    August 12, 2012 at 4:22 am

    I really love your classroom ideas. I just discovered your First Grade General Information Packet. It is awesome! Would you consider sharing or selling an editable version?

    Thanks for all your GREAT ideas!
    Yvonne
    ymarinhines@cusd.claremont.edu

  22. Anonymous

    September 10, 2012 at 1:21 am

    Great ideas. I like your warning board. What happens when a student breaks a rule after recess? Where is the named moved then?

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs