• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

The Anatomy of a Book Baggie

Ever wonder what to put in your students’ book baggies or how to manage them?  This post will answer all those burning questions!

I like to start independent reading the first week of school.  I feel like it is an important part of our daily routine.

To get started with book baggies, you need actual book baggies.  I had originally purchased the book baggie above from Really Good Stuff and honestly they did not last a whole year.  The plastic broke in the corners on most of them.  I should have bought this version of them instead.

So the following year, I went with the book baggies below.  They are from ABCStuff.com and they held up well.  I liked how the strap was long enough to fit over the back of the students’ chairs.  This made it easy for me to see who was about to forget to bring their’s home at the end of the day.

For the big chairs (yup, the chairs in my room don’t all match…it kills me), I used Michelle Oakes’ Neat Seats to hold the book baggies. 
Here is what is in my students’ book baggies at the beginning of first grade.
You can find the label and Word Ring for FREE here: 
The students have their Words of the Week on their word rings.  To read a post about my Words of the Week packet, click {HERE}.

The reading strategy bookmark is part of this packet:

My leveled library books are from various sources.  I prefer the quality of the ones from the major publishing companies like the Rigby PM Leveled Readers.  My students pick five books on their independent reading level and place those in their book baggie.   Of course if a child asks to borrow a book on a higher or lower level, I let them.  It is just an additional book to their five books.  All of my leveled library books are stored in bins and labeled by levels.  You can find the labels {HERE}.

To figure out my students’ independent reading level, I test them using Fountas & Pinnell’s Benchmark Assessment System.

Source: Fountas and Pinnell
*When I instruct my students during guided reading, I use their instructional reading level. 
I meet with each individual student once a week during D.E.A.R. Time (Drop Everything and Read)/Independent reading time.   I try and meet with five students a day; it really depends on my class size.  Five students per day would allow me to meet with 25 students a week.  
I can easily tell if a child has been practicing his/her book baggie and word ring during our weekly conferences.  If they need more practice, they keep the book or books for another week.  
Later in the year, during first grade, my students’ book baggie looks like this:

The difference this book baggie and the one from the begging of the year is that the comprehension expectations have increased and the book baggie now includes comprehension cards.  I add the comprehension cueing cards for parents to question their children at home.  I have a color version of the cards that I use in class.  I find the consistency and visual prompts help my students.  You can find those cards {HERE}.

I make sure to explain book baggies, instructional reading levels, independent reading levels, and word rings to parents on Meet the Teacher Night and in my General Information Packet.

I hope this post helped to better explain book baggies to you.  Leave any questions in the comments.

Filed Under: Reading, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Orlando 2016 TpT-Teacher Meet Up!
Next Post: TpT Technical Difficulty Help: Printing, Opening, Missing Backgrounds, & More! »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Mindy O'Brien

    August 7, 2016 at 7:46 pm

    I love this so much! So do you just meet with the kiddos individually or do you do guided reading groups in addition to this?

    • Erica Bohrer

      August 8, 2016 at 10:41 pm

      Yes, we do guided reading separately during literacy centers. You can look at how I run my day here: http://ericabohrer.blogspot.com/search/label/Visual%20plans

  2. susan berkowitz

    August 7, 2016 at 7:57 pm

    This is a great system. I love that the comprehension questions use consistent visual cues (I work with kids on the spectrum, too) and that there is consistency in the system all the way through the year. Not having to figure out new instructions or a different way of doing things each time is such a huge benefit to our kids.

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Adorable New Book by the author and illustrators o Adorable New Book by the author and illustrators of The Leaf Thief…The Sun Thief. 

Want the links?  Comment BOOK below. 

#picturebook #daylightsavingstime #fall
Drop an emoji if you have ever used one of these b Drop an emoji if you have ever used one of these before! 
It makes it so much easier to date primary students work.  I save their banners and make a portfolio, so I like to have the date on the backs of the banners.
Want the link?  Comment LINK below.  It will only send for that word 🙂.

#amazonfind #teacherhack
🍁Check out my new fall themed cutie by @palmpals.o 🍁Check out my new fall themed cutie by @palmpals.official .  A sweet parent bought this for the class, we use them for our morning greeting toss.

🍂Want the link?  Comment ACORN below!

#amazonfinds #palmpals
🧡🦃 A little fall gratitude + a whole lot of CUTEN 🧡🦃 A little fall  gratitude + a whole lot of CUTENESS! 🐿️🍂

This I Am Grateful Squirrel Craft is such a fun fall/Thanksgiving activity for your classroom! Students can share what they’re grateful for while creating an adorable fall squirrel craft that makes the cutest hallway or bulletin board display. 🍁✨

Perfect for:
🍂 Thanksgiving writing
🐿️ Gratitude activities
🧡 Fall classroom crafts
📚 Bulletin board displays
✏️ An October through November activity

Want to grab it for your classroom? 👇

💬 COMMENT “CRAFT” and I’ll send you the link!

#thanksgivingactivities #thanksgivingcraft #fallcraft #fallclassroom #thanksgivingactivitiesforkids
Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs