• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Hanukkah Activities

Hanukkah started on Sunday.  Happy Hanukkah to you if you celebrate!   I don’t happen to have students in my classroom this year that celebrate Hanukkah but here on Long Island many people celebrate Hanukkah and I would like my students to understand the holiday.  Just on Friday, one of my kiddos saw a menorah in the office and said “Miss Bohrer, look its Monica.”  I was confused and said “Who?”  He said, “You know Monica, the other Christmas holiday?”  I said, “Oh, honey that is a menorah and the holiday is called Hanukkah.  We will be learning about it next week.”  And here we are!

I read my students my favorite Hanukkah book, The Chanukkah Guest by Eric A. Kimmel.  The book has recently been republished as Hanukkah Bear.  It is about an old woman who mistakes a burly bear for her rabbi and feeds him all her latkes.  It is a funny book, that the students really enjoy. You can find the book {HERE} on Amazon, I originally got mine through Scholastic Book Clubs, and I am sure your local library will have one of the versions.

The two versions of the same book.
  

After we read the book, we completed a retelling on a dreidel craft.

You can grab the printables for the above activity {HERE} for free!

For those of you who do not know what latkes (lot-ka-z) are, they are kind of like McDonald’s Hash Browns.  I only first had them when I started teaching and a parent who celebrated Hanukkah offered to bring them in for the class.  I thought it was a fabulous idea and I really liked them.  The students really liked them, too.  So now each year, I try to get a parent volunteer to make them or I buy the frozen kind and heat them up.

Latkes are served with applesauce or sour cream.  Never to miss an opportunity for math, I have the students graph how they best like their latkes.  Click the pictures below to download your copy of the activity for free!

Here are some images from of my Hanukkah Printables packet, available for purchase in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store:

Here are some great Hanukkah themed read alouds:
(affiliate links)
If you want to play the dreidel game, you can find directions {here}.

Thanks for stopping by!  As always, feel free to pin.

Filed Under: Hanukkah, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Cyber Monday Sale – Check out these Holiday Themed Packets
Next Post: Celebrating the New Year in the Classroom »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Ruth n Autumn Carmichael

    December 9, 2015 at 1:34 am

    Loved your data collection and analysis page. Because of our Poppy and having diverse student populations, we have incorporated Hanukkah in our December units. Thanks for sharing.

    • Erica Bohrer

      November 28, 2016 at 6:44 pm

      You are welcome!

  2. martha brown

    December 9, 2015 at 4:14 am

    I've been using your latkes graphing pages for a few years. My kids love it! I'm going to buy your Hanukkah unit to use next year ( and maybe for the rest of this week too)!

    • Erica Bohrer

      November 28, 2016 at 6:44 pm

      Thank you!! And thank you for your future purchase!

  3. Lory's Page

    December 10, 2015 at 8:11 pm

    Great ideas Erika. Thank you!!
    Lory

    • Erica Bohrer

      November 28, 2016 at 6:44 pm

      Thank you!!

  4. Miss. Edisa

    January 20, 2016 at 2:44 am

    This package is so creative! You did an AMAZING job!!

    • Erica Bohrer

      November 28, 2016 at 6:43 pm

      Thank you!!

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Adorable New Book by the author and illustrators o Adorable New Book by the author and illustrators of The Leaf Thief…The Sun Thief. 

Want the links?  Comment BOOK below. 

#picturebook #daylightsavingstime #fall
Drop an emoji if you have ever used one of these b Drop an emoji if you have ever used one of these before! 
It makes it so much easier to date primary students work.  I save their banners and make a portfolio, so I like to have the date on the backs of the banners.
Want the link?  Comment LINK below.  It will only send for that word 🙂.

#amazonfind #teacherhack
🍁Check out my new fall themed cutie by @palmpals.o 🍁Check out my new fall themed cutie by @palmpals.official .  A sweet parent bought this for the class, we use them for our morning greeting toss.

🍂Want the link?  Comment ACORN below!

#amazonfinds #palmpals
🧡🦃 A little fall gratitude + a whole lot of CUTEN 🧡🦃 A little fall  gratitude + a whole lot of CUTENESS! 🐿️🍂

This I Am Grateful Squirrel Craft is such a fun fall/Thanksgiving activity for your classroom! Students can share what they’re grateful for while creating an adorable fall squirrel craft that makes the cutest hallway or bulletin board display. 🍁✨

Perfect for:
🍂 Thanksgiving writing
🐿️ Gratitude activities
🧡 Fall classroom crafts
📚 Bulletin board displays
✏️ An October through November activity

Want to grab it for your classroom? 👇

💬 COMMENT “CRAFT” and I’ll send you the link!

#thanksgivingactivities #thanksgivingcraft #fallcraft #fallclassroom #thanksgivingactivitiesforkids
Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs