• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Teacher Week 2015: 5 Fun Facts About Me

I am excited to be linking up with my friends over at Blog Hoppin’ with five fun facts about me!
I feel you would already know a lot about me if you follow me on Instagram at EricaBohrer.  I am pretty much an open book!  
Fact 1:  
I don’t have a traditional teaching degree!  My undergraduate degree is in Literature and Rhetoric from SUNY Binghamton.   I loved reading in college, especially British Literature.   I am a big Jane Austen fan.  After college, I could not find a job with my degree, so I went to Dowling College for a Masters in Education.  I am certified to teach Secondary English and K-6 Elementary.  
Fact 2:
My last name is pronounced Bor-er.  My dad’s family is of German-Swiss descent and came to America in the 1800s.  My mother is 100% Italian.  We have a lot of great Italian customs in my family.  For example, Christmas Eve is a bigger deal than Christmas Day.  We have fish and pasta and the whole family comes over to my parents’ house.  We also open gifts then.   Whenever we have gatherings or events there is always a ton of food.  The biggest horror would be to run out of food.  It also might be a NY thing.  You should see weddings here, insane amounts of food.  
Fact 3:
This is not a fun fact but something I don’t usually share.  I was severely bullied as a child.  I was a tiny quiet thing and an easy target.  I was bullied in Kindergarten and Second grade by this girl who would pinch me and kick me when the teachers were not looking.  I was terrified to go to school.  Then my adult teeth came in around third grade.  They were bucked with a big space between them.  So from third grade until probably 7th grade, I was tormented and made fun of.  I remember this boy that everyone else picked on for being overweight would torment me the most.  I think he wanted to take the focus off himself.  Of course, I never made fun of him because I knew it was not nice.  I remember always fighting back tears.  I could not let him see me cry. Why I don’t know.   I remember the burning feeling in my face and me hoping that my tears were not showing.  It would feel like the hot tears were running down the inside of my cheeks.  I would do a quick brush of my cheek to make sure the tears weren’t showing on the outside.  I would not wish that feeling on anyone.  I was shy to begin with and became even more shy as I avoided talking or smiling.  If I did not talk or smile, people would not see my teeth.  It took me many years and braces to recover from the bullying.  As a teacher, I try to listen to what kids are saying and not let what happened to me happen to them.  I also teach kindness and compassion. I did hear from the Kindergarten girl who used to bully me.  She sent me a message on FB apologizing.  She said she must have been jealous of me.  I always had my hair done with pretty ribbons and braids and wore pretty clothes.  She was one of six or so kids and I don’t think she got a lot of attention at home.  It meant a lot to me that she took the time to apologize.  
Fact 4:

I love antiques or vintage things.  I love to go to estate sales!   I have learned you have to go early or you miss the good stuff.  I even look through FB groups for cool finds for sale. 
Fact 5:

If I like something, I buy it in most of the other colors they have (except purple – I just don’t like purple clothes).  Case in point, the Banana Republic dress above.  On the left it is in navy blue and on the right in red.  The hair color difference is because I wore them almost a year apart.  I love shopping and I love when I find things that fit me well.  I am petite but sometimes the petite dresses are too short on me.  When I find something that fits, I get a little overzealous! 
PS- On the left is THE Paul Edelman, found of TpT!  On the right is my sweet friend, Krista Wallden of Creative Clips.  I seriously don’t even know why I stood next to her for a picture.  LOL, she looks like a model! 
I hope you go over to Blog Hoppin’ and check out all the linkys we have in store for you! 

Filed Under: All About Erica, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Decor Galore!
Next Post: The First Week of First Grade »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Positively Learning

    September 1, 2015 at 7:52 am

    I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences growing up, but I can't help but think that makes you an amazing teacher to the ones who need you most! I also buy "all the colors" of items I love!! Jen

  2. Bridget S

    September 1, 2015 at 9:23 pm

    I am so sorry to hear how terrible you were bullied!!! That just breaks my heart. Children can be so mean!!! I love how you look out for your students to make sure that does't happen to them.

  3. Tiffany Brosig

    September 1, 2015 at 11:13 pm

    I've been pronouncing your last name the wrong way in my head for the last two years! Bullying is the worst! In kindergarten, the boy who sat next to me used to fold over the corner of all of my papers and pinch me! It was the worst! I saw him years later when I was in high school and working at McDonald's…I waited on him and totally called him out on it LOL! I think it's great that you are extra sensitive to students who are being bullied. I hate the idea of any kid feeling left out or being made fun of. You're a teacher I would want my own children to have!

    Tiffany
    KTeacherTiff

  4. Esler

    September 2, 2015 at 1:09 am

    Thank you for being so honest… I am a teacher and their is a bully at my school. A teacher. Today was our first day back for meetings. I thought it would be ok. It was awful. I came home thinking I was the only person t have endured this. I appreciate your honesty.

  5. Jen R

    September 2, 2015 at 9:56 am

    aw – girl! I'm so sorry you went through that and that teachers didn't see/do anything! I'm glad she contacted you later in life <3

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Kids will tell you everything! You know it is goi Kids will tell you everything!  You know it is going to be some drama when they start with “My mom told me not to tell you this but…” 

Parents, we know sometimes they exaggerate and we follow up for clarification, if we are concerned.  For example: One time a kid came in and said she was a 1 because her mom pushed her.  A little boy who was her neighbor and also in the class, said BUT she was trying to save you from getting hit by a car! 

What are some of the things you have heard or maybe your child has said?

#teachertruth #teacherhumor
Welcome back to school…here is a cold or virus for Welcome back to school…here is a cold or virus for you! 

I can’t keep you healthy but I can give you some F R E E signs.  I also have them in neutral colors.  Comment GERMS for the links!

#germs #backtoschool #classroomdecor
Here are some of my favorite fall themed classroom Here are some of my favorite fall themed classroom ideas!  From my free banner writing prompts to no prep slides and crafts that can stay up until Thanksgiving.  To grab the links, comment FALL below 👇 and I will send you a message.

#fallteachingideas #firstgradeteacher
I laugh when I think of some of the things I say a I laugh when I think of some of the things I say and how it would sound to non-educator. 
What is something you have taught or have to say that is definitely not part of the curriculum?

#teacherhumor #teachertruth
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs