• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

The Bane of MY Existence, Updates, and a Freebie!

Ok…I will admit, I am being a bit overdramatic!  Can you blame me?  I seriously wanted to throw the classroom pencils out the window.  I sharpened that pencil down to a nub and still no useable point!  I must have sharpened 10 pencils in a row that ended up like this!   It was so frustrating, no wonder the kids never have pencils!  It held us up from taking a spelling test, the kids started chatting away, and half of them still did not have pencils to write with! 
If there is a pencil company out there, that wants to send me some pencils that sharpen the way they are supposed to, please leave me a comment below.  As of right now, I am very tempted to let first graders write in pen!
Updates:
I have been so busy working on long vowel phonics packets, that I have not had time to post my visual plans.  I apologize, but these packets take me a long time.  Even with following the same template.  I know have Long a, Long e, and Long o in my store.  Next up is Long i.   Just click on the images to check out the packets on TpT!

Did you all have fun celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with your students?  Every year, my Wanted Posters and Leprechaun Fact Family craft are a hit with the kids.  I love turning a Common Core aligned math activity into a fun project and the kids do too!

If you are looking for a similar Easter Math Craft, check out this packet:

 This page of a student’s Star of the Week book made me laugh!  I love how you can hear our Long Island accents in the writer’s inventive spelling.  And yes, the star student loves to talk.

A few weeks ago we received some “turn-key” training from a staff member on ways to attack word problems.  The goal was for all of the students in the school to utilize the same methods for attacking word problems.   I made this little worksheet to help.   You can click the image to download it for yourself.  I have been doing with my first graders and they are really getting the hang of it!

I am super excited about presenting in Vegas this summer.  I attended last year and had a blast, now this year I am presenting for SDE and TPT!  Click below to sign-up and receive my 10% discount code for SDE. 
To sign up for the TpT conference, click here.
My mother’s book is out and she created a FREE Common Core Aligned Close Reading Lesson for it.  My mother is a reading teacher in the same district I teach in.  Click the image below to check it out and pass along the link to your third grade and up friends!
That’s all for now! In my next post, I plan to tell you about author Beth Finke’s visit.  I always enjoy her visits and of course her dog!

Filed Under: Free Downloads, Literacy Centers, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in First Grade & a Freebie
Next Post: Spring Cleaning Sale »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Ashley C

    March 23, 2014 at 7:12 pm

    Classroom Friendly Supplies "Quietest Classroom Sharpener" always sharpens pencils perfectly! You should check it out! Here is the site: http://www.classroomfriendlysupplies.com/

    Ashley
    K-3 Connection

  2. K Meier

    March 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

    Ticonderoga makes the best pencils. We request this brand on our supply list. They are a little more expensive but are MUCH better than any others.

    • Miss 27

      March 25, 2014 at 8:41 pm

      Agreed! We use the fat pencils. The kids have a much harder time breaking them (it is an issue) and they stay sharp enough to write for several days. I'll never go back.

  3. Ellen Behringer

    March 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

    I agree with Ashley C! I LOVE this sharpener…..no raggedy edged pencils and it's quiet!

  4. Courtney

    March 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

    YES ^^^^^ This is the ONLY pencil sharpener any teacher should buy. You will never have issues again! It sharpens the cheapie pencils as well as the good ones

  5. Sci5Techr

    March 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm

    It is the lille things that matter the most. Pencils that just won't sharpen are a teacher's mortal enemy. Personally, I don't think a particular sharpener will make any difference. Office Depot pencils are terrible about not sharpening, Ticonderoga pencils are almost perfect.

  6. CaseyJane Cooper

    March 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm

    Ditto on the Ticonderoga pencils. I requested 24 Ticonderoga pencils per student and haven't even approached 1/2 of my pencil supply this year… for the first time ever! I'm usually out by now. Of course, a few of the other brands come in at the beginning of the year. They tend to be the only pencils I throw away these days.
    I've heard great things about his sharpener… I have yet to invest.
    CaseyJane
    WigglingScholars

  7. Deb

    March 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm

    I laughed when I saw your student writing. Some child is going to be writing that about my son next year when he goes to kindergarten. He's a self-proclaimed 'expert in talking.'

    Deb
    Not very fancy

  8. Mrs. B's Beehive

    March 23, 2014 at 11:23 pm

    I agree with the other teachers commenting here! I always put Dixon Ticonderoga pencils on my supply list to start the year. Of course, not every parent listens, but I do get a good number of them, and they are fantastic. After reading a couple of blog posts about the sharpener from classroom friendly supplies I decided to purchase one too. It is a little tricky for my kindergarten students to use, and they need to be taught how to use it, but it is durable, and takes care of the problem you are having! I am on my third year with that sharpener, and it is still going strong! The electronic ones always seem to malfunction 3 or 4 months into me getting a new one!

  9. Katie

    March 24, 2014 at 12:32 am

    omg that pencil thing cracked me up….. seriously hate it. lol hope you got some good pencils 😉

  10. Rachel Vincent

    March 24, 2014 at 1:25 am

    I totally shared that pencil picture on Facebook! Pencils like that are awful! Glad to know I'm not the only who goes crazy over bad pencils!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

  11. Antoinette

    March 24, 2014 at 3:30 am

    Too funny! A lot of my pencils sharpen like that most especially the ones from Office Depot. I think it's my pencil sharpener too. I bought one from Bostitch that claims to be a top performer and quiet. Yeah, let's just say it didn't live up to either one of those descriptions. Hope you find better pencils!

    Antoinette 🙂
    Shoelaces and Sugar Cookies

  12. Laura Spalding

    March 24, 2014 at 9:43 am

    Okay…I am SOOO with you about the pencils! I throw away more of those cheapy pencils than you can shake a stick at! If you get the lowdown on truly sharpenable (yep! made up the word, but poetic license works here, right?!?) pencils, please post! I am Frustrated in Fairfield!!!

  13. KeepCalmAnd LoveFirstGrade

    March 24, 2014 at 12:30 pm

    You must buy a classroom friendly supplies sharpener. It will literally sharpen the cheapest, most horrible pencils to pure perfection every time. I have one and after using it- at least 8 of my teacher friends bought one for themselves. The quality of the pencil make no difference after buying this thing!!!!!! It's worth every penny.
    Melissa
    Keep Calm and Love First Grade

  14. Erin

    March 25, 2014 at 3:37 am

    I have been having issues with my Classroom Friendly Supplies sharpener. Does anyone know what a good indication would be to change the parts? If so, please feel free to email me (erin9883@gmail.com) because its been driving me crazy!! And, Erica if you do find a pencil company that's amazing I will be on the look out because your Nassau County first grade friends are going to have one crazy teacher soon!! 🙂

  15. Dynelle Dunn

    March 26, 2014 at 12:07 am

    I agree, those pencils and sharpener are AMAZING, work so well and you don't need those pesky pencil grips either. Another 'bane of my existence' type of pencil is those pencils that are themed and they have the paper around them and when you try to sharpen them the paper wrecks the sharpener and goes all over the place. Yup those are fun too!

  16. Dawn Knight

    March 26, 2014 at 1:46 am

    Like others have said go straight to Classroom Friendly Supplies and get the pencil sharpener. It is the best sharpener! Your troubles will be over. We also request Ticonderoga pencils. But all the cheap, terrible pencils that are sent in will come out perfect every time too. I have 3 of the sharpeners and love them.

  17. pgrantham102

    March 26, 2014 at 3:50 am

    Several teachers at my school use #4 pencils. They order them from School Store of Carolina. They don't have to be sharpened often and don't break easily. I thought they would smear but they don't seem to. I think it might be worth a try next year.

  18. Kara

    March 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm

    I am so with you on the pencils! I even joke with the kids saying we need to write a complaint letter to the irritating pencil companies!!

  19. Grams

    March 27, 2014 at 10:31 pm

    Go to http://www.friendlyclassroomsupplies.com and buy their pencil sharpener. You will love it! It sharpens all pencils no matter how expensive or cheapy! I can buy the $1 bin ones from Target now and they sharpen like a charm This is one expense you will be bragging about spending!

  20. Evelyn Ball

    March 29, 2014 at 3:48 am

    Those type of pencils and the ones where the eraser "pops" off on the first time of use are the bane of my existence too. The best pencils that I have found by far are the Ticonderoga; I buy the black ones for test taking day. The triangular pencils are great for those kiddos that have difficulties with fine motor skill. And of course…the pencil sharpener from Friendly Classroom Supplies is the bomb!

  21. Skincare Blog

    April 1, 2014 at 6:00 am

    I agree with all of you, buy the fatter pencils, Ticonderoga, and none with erasers as the kids usually find a way to mutilate them or cut them or who knows what. The pencils that are paper wrapped and color pencils (oil based that gum up the sharpeners) do not work well in regular electric sharpeners. I haven't tried the recommendation of the above sharpener, but will certainly look at it. Good luck. Pencils being made outside USA have been my bane as well.

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs