• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Batty for Bats

I just finished my Batty for Bats Unit.  It is a 59 page literacy and science unit.  I have always loved doing a bat unit with my students – click here to see last year’s post and snag a freebie.  This year, I wanted to align the unit to the Common Core and focus on CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.2.  So, I plan on having my students write informational pieces on bats.  This will not be the only informational piece we write the whole year.  This piece will start us off and then hopefully the students will be able to write more in-depth pieces on other subjects as the year progresses.  To help you meet the needs of your students, I have provided some activities with a varying level of difficulty and different versions of the same activity. Click above to check it out on TpT!

I drew the little bat in the diagram myself!  I had a hard time finding clip art that would allow labeling.  So, I drew this little guy.  It took like three tries and then tracing over my final one.  Finally, I scanned it and saved it as PNG.  I was then able to insert it into a document as you would a graphic.   I wish I knew more about making graphics, but for now this works for me.

Hope your October is going smoothly.  Though, I am sure if you are like me, you are just barely keeping your head above water!

Don’t forget to click here to check out my unit.

Filed Under: Halloween, Science, Teachers Pay Teachers, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Halloween Themed Math Centers and Freebies
Next Post: Chicago: My Kind of Town »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Heather

    October 17, 2012 at 2:07 am

    Your unit looks adorable! I have been doing bats this week and my kids have loved them. This is going on my Wishlist!

    ✞Heather
    Swinging Through Second Grade
    hdawntn@hotmail.com

  2. Just A Primary Girl with Mrs. H

    October 17, 2012 at 2:08 am

    This is super cute! I am just starting to figure out how to make my own images too. What is nice is you don't need a license for your own, but you should make sure no one steals and uses it! I hear an I Pad is an easy way to do your own graphics but I am not steady enough with the stylus yet.

    Lots of luck and great job!

  3. Karyn

    October 17, 2012 at 3:08 am

    Wow! Amazing bat Erica! I bet we'll see you making clipart soon! :o)

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

  4. Sarah Paul

    October 17, 2012 at 3:36 am

    This looks GREAT Erica! I'm headed over to check it out! 🙂
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

  5. Holly Baker

    October 17, 2012 at 3:40 am

    I LOVE your bat and I am impressed! We are looking forward to doing this for homeschool!

  6. Jenn Bates

    October 17, 2012 at 4:00 am

    We do a bat unit, too! The bat you drew is great!
    Jenn
    Finally in First

  7. Amy Howbert

    October 17, 2012 at 5:12 am

    What fun it would be if I were a kid in your classroom! Looks like a ton of fun-filled variety!
    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

  8. Jodi

    October 17, 2012 at 10:40 am

    It looks amazing Erica!!!

    ❀Jodi
    Fun In First

  9. ~DeAnne~

    October 17, 2012 at 5:24 pm

    Your packet is amazing. I just bought it. I hope to begin using it next week! 🙂

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

  10. Mrs. Wathen

    October 18, 2012 at 12:47 am

    Way to go on the bat! The unit looks great and is in my cart:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

  11. Jennifer

    October 19, 2012 at 12:58 am

    Pinned it! So cute!
    Rowdy in First Grade

  12. Lori

    October 19, 2012 at 3:52 am

    Wow!! Soooo cute. Love your stuff.

  13. Tales of a First Grade Teacher

    October 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm

    I just bought your unit today and I posted about what we did.
    Would love for you to see it.
    check it out here:
    http://tales-of-a-first-grade-teacher.blogspot.com/2012/10/if-you-give-teacher-unit.html
    Jessica

  14. Rachel Lamb

    October 24, 2012 at 11:11 pm

    He's perfect. I just did that with halloweiner! There's just not a weenie dig out there that was long enough! 😉
    Rachel

  15. Miss Lorentz

    October 25, 2012 at 2:32 am

    Great ideas as always! Could you share your post at my Halloween Linky Party? I know my followers would love to see it too!

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs