• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Reading Logs & FREE Reading Log Starter Kit

I cannot believe I have never posted about reading logs before!  I wrote a whole darn book on them!  I know, I said my next post would be about “Book Baggies,” but I really want to finish aligning my Reading Comprehension Cueing Cards to the Common Core Standards before promoting them again.  That snowballed into me updating the graphics!  Then, I updated to Mountain Lion OS X for my iMac and what a huge mistake!!!   My Preview application changed so that I could no longer add hyperlinks to PDF files!   I really almost threw my Mac out the window!  I am still really angry with Apple and I have no clue how to go back to my old OS.  I had to purchase a new PDF-Editor program on top of already purchasing the Mountain Lion OS X!  So Apple, if you are reading this I left you a comment and I am not a happy camper!  I think 5 Ipads for my classroom would make me feel a lot better 🙂  Click here to read the thread about the issue.  So readers, just hold tight  on the Book Baggie Post and I apologize. 
On to reading logs!  Click above for my FREE Reading Log Starter Kit and read below for some tips! 
I send home a reading log every Friday and it is returned to school the following Thursday.  I do this so that I have a day cushion for students who “forget” to bring it in.
The
number labels on the tabs help me keep track of returned reading logs.  I assign each student a number according to
their alphabetical order on the class list. For more information on the
numbering system and the number labels, check out my Back to School Organizational Forms and More Packet on TpT. 
Each week, I place the reading log inside the folder.  Most of my reading logs are from my book.  You can check out the book by clicking the picture below. 
I try and vary my reading logs as much as I can and I also utilize these resources below.  Click on the images to check them out. 
This freebie is by Rachelle Smith of What the Teacher Wants
These sheets are by Michelle Oakes of Fabulous in First Grade. 

These two packets are by Lindsey of The Teacher Wife.

 These higher order thinking skills packets have been bundled together by Anna of Crazy for First and can be found here.

This is an adorable packet by Kim Adsit of KinderGals. 
This packet is a great for challenging your gifted firsties or for use at the end of the year.  Amanda, of One Extra Degree, teaches third grade.  These activities could be modeled whole class or utilized in a guided reading group. 
I hope this post helped you out!  Be sure to follow by email or FB for instant alerts on when I post again.  I promise there is a valuable contest coming up and to get to that Book Baggie post!  Thanks for reading. 

Filed Under: Free Downloads, Reading, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Photos of My First Grade Classroom
Next Post: Cameo Giveaway! »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Lindsey (The Teacher Wife)

    September 26, 2012 at 2:23 am

    THanks for the shout-out, Erica!! Love ya! 🙂

    • Erica Bohrer

      September 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

      You are welcome! Love ya, too!!

  2. Rachael Parlett

    September 26, 2012 at 6:17 pm

    Thanks for putting tons of reading log/resources all in one post! Teachers can really benefit from all these different ways to keep students accountable for their reading and all the different ways to assess readers! You're freebie download is great, too! I love how it is organized for the students in the file folder! Perfect, thanks!

    Rachael
    The Classroom Game Nook

    • Erica Bohrer

      September 26, 2012 at 7:30 pm

      You are welcome! Happy to help.

  3. poolside teacher

    September 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm

    Where did you get the sight word quilt from pictured?
    Thanks,
    Corey Power
    poolsideteacher@gmail.com

    • Erica Bohrer

      September 27, 2012 at 12:04 am

      It is from my Reading Response Sheet book.

  4. jcglass04

    September 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

    Erica ~ Is this your only homework for the week, or do you send additional homework? Just curious! As a 1st grade teacher (and a parent of two primary school-aged children), I'm not a fan of homework at the young ages. However, if it can be linked to bedtime reading, then I'm all for it! Thanks for sharing!

    • Erica Bohrer

      September 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

      I do give H.W. in addition. One math workbook page and student choice of spelling homework. I send home a packet with 3x each, unscramble the word, rhyme the word, sentences, and a word search. Each night they pick a spelling activity of their choice.

  5. MissCoffey

    September 27, 2012 at 12:36 am

    Erica, wow! You amaze me! I have always had a home reading program, but have struggled with whether or not to include a written component. I love the way you set this up, the way it's organized, and the variety of activities. I have your book and love it! Thanks for sharing!

  6. Miss DeCarbo

    September 27, 2012 at 2:23 am

    I have your book and Lindsey's packets and use them all the time! 🙂

    Sugar and Spice

  7. Janine

    September 29, 2012 at 8:25 pm

    What a perfect post! This has helped me tremendously!

    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

  8. Elsa Hartmann

    September 25, 2014 at 4:26 am

    great ideas!! thank you

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Kids will tell you everything! You know it is goi Kids will tell you everything!  You know it is going to be some drama when they start with “My mom told me not to tell you this but…” 

Parents, we know sometimes they exaggerate and we follow up for clarification, if we are concerned.  For example: One time a kid came in and said she was a 1 because her mom pushed her.  A little boy who was her neighbor and also in the class, said BUT she was trying to save you from getting hit by a car! 

What are some of the things you have heard or maybe your child has said?

#teachertruth #teacherhumor
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs