• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Teacher Week – Therapeutic Thursday

I know this post is a bit late!  I did not want to stress myself out by getting it done on Thursday.  Choose sanity right?  
I am a bit nervous to put this out there, but I am a firm believer in actual therapy.  I don’t know if it is just more acceptable in NY.  I know there is this stigma attached to therapy: that you have to be CRAZY or have gone through some trama to go.  But that is so not true!  Therapy is way different than going to a “shrink,” most therapists are Social Workers or Psychologists and they cannot prescribe medication.  Therapists can help you realize that you are being ridiculous about something and/or help you find ways to cope.  As teachers, we put so much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and then we are so hard on ourselves when we are not.  It is nice to have someone there to give you a reality check and ask “What would happen if you did not get your lesson plans for next week done by Thursday of the week before?”  Um..yeah nothing would happen and no one would know except for me.   We all have stress in our lives and we all need to learn ways to deal with it so that it does not effect our health or social relationships.  Therapists are also sworn to secrecy – so you can tell them anything and it is not going to come back to bite you in the butt 🙂   Check with your insurance to see if it covers therapy or if you need a referral first.   I am hoping by sharing this, I help at least one person. 
I also have a supportive group of friends in this blogging world.  We email each other, talk on the phone, text, and even try to meet up.  It is wonderful having friends that know exactly what I do and why.  We are so supportive of each other’s success!  My bloggy friends understand the pressure to keep the blog posts and products coming, while still trying to be perfect at your day job!   Not feeling alone is the best way to cope!
On to less traditional therapy!  I do a lot of retail therapy.  New things make me happy.  Hence, my 100 plus pairs of shoes!  Also, organizing things relaxes me and makes my life feel less chaotic.  I like control and order 🙂
Pets – Did you know pets are supposed to reduce stress and blood pressure?  I don’t think it works though – the more you have the less stress…that would be the opposite…haha!  I have two cats and two dogs.  My dogs are my children and the cats are my pets! 

Boating and the beach!  There is nothing more relaxing than being out on the water.

My boat!
I took my friend Diana out with her dog Chewie and we had a puppy party on the boat!

So here it is.  If you want to link up with Blog Hoppin’, click below. 

Filed Under: Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Teacher Week: Where I Teach Wednesday
Next Post: Teacher Week – Freebie Friday »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Mrs. Smyth

    August 24, 2012 at 12:21 pm

    You are fabulous and brave for putting yourself out there. Teachers need to be more willing to put themselves first sometimes. We give, give, give… we need to be healthy (emotionally and physically) for those we care about- including our students! Thanks for sharing. I think it's something that we all struggle with 🙂
    -Michele
    New Adventures in First Grade

  2. Jennifer Reck

    August 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm

    Yes! Real therapy has probably been one of the best investments I've made for myself and my children. Giving them and myself tools to help cope with life's struggles, like not being perfect and losing loved ones is the best gift I've given myself and my children! Thank you for being brave.
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

  3. Sara Soucy

    August 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

    Thank you for sharing. You are so right, teachers put more pressure on themselves than anyone else does. I think it is part of being passionate about what we do. It is so important to realize that we can't do it all. I find organizing to be therapy as well. It makes me feel in control of something. And your puppy party looks like so much fun!

    Sara 🙂
    Smiling In Second Grade

  4. CourtneyM87

    August 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm

    Hi Erica!

    I am putting a list of Teacher Blogs together to share some great new products. There is a new book series, Captain McFinn and Friends, that has recently debuted. The books aim to teach young children, ages 4-9 to be a friend, and not a bully. There is also a classroom resource program that ties into the series called S.H.A.R.K. Patrol.

    I'd like to tell you more about it, and send you copies of the books plus other information, but I can't find an e-mail address for you.

    Could you please e-mail me at Courtney.Manders@bhgpr.com so we can talk!

    Courtney Manders

  5. Miss Kelly

    August 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

    Erica love your blog and your boat!! Wondering if you can tell me the artist that created the graphic for the Teacher Week from Blog Hoppin? I love the style!

    • Erica Bohrer

      August 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm

      It is by MelonHeadz – http://www.melonheadzillustrating.blogspot.com/

  6. Lori Rosenberg

    August 25, 2012 at 12:06 am

    I would have loved to have been at your puppy party! You know I am in love with your furbabies!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Kids will tell you everything! You know it is goi Kids will tell you everything!  You know it is going to be some drama when they start with “My mom told me not to tell you this but…” 

Parents, we know sometimes they exaggerate and we follow up for clarification, if we are concerned.  For example: One time a kid came in and said she was a 1 because her mom pushed her.  A little boy who was her neighbor and also in the class, said BUT she was trying to save you from getting hit by a car! 

What are some of the things you have heard or maybe your child has said?

#teachertruth #teacherhumor
Welcome back to school…here is a cold or virus for Welcome back to school…here is a cold or virus for you! 

I can’t keep you healthy but I can give you some F R E E signs.  I also have them in neutral colors.  Comment GERMS for the links!

#germs #backtoschool #classroomdecor
Here are some of my favorite fall themed classroom Here are some of my favorite fall themed classroom ideas!  From my free banner writing prompts to no prep slides and crafts that can stay up until Thanksgiving.  To grab the links, comment FALL below 👇 and I will send you a message.

#fallteachingideas #firstgradeteacher
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs