• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Back from Italy

Hello Blogging Buddies!  I am back from my trip to Italy!  Did you miss me?  I felt naked without my Iphone and constant internet access.  Unfortunately, Verizon does not have international plans.  I guess it was a sign that I needed a break from all things work related.  
I went to Italy with my mom and her cousin, Bernadette.  We started in Rome and saw all the classic tourist attractions and like a gazilion churches!  I am Catholic but not that Catholic.  Still I trudged on for my mom and Bernadette.  

The Holy Stairs/Scala Sancta– These are supposedly the marble stairs that Jesus walked up in Pontius Pilate’s castle before being put to death.  St. Helen brought them back to Rome and they are currently covered in wood.  You are supposed to go up them on your knees and say a prayer on each step, we did not know that and were wondering why everyone was taking so long.  It hurt!
Bernadette and me at Trevi Fountain

My mom and me at St. Peter’s Basilica 
My mom brought back a water bottle filled with Holy Water!

Vatican City, St. Peter’s Basilica

I managed to find a cat sanctuary in Rome.  It is in the Torre Argentina, the place where Julius Cesare was murdered. 
After Rome, we took a high speed train to Naples.  From the Naples train station, we took a local train to Sorento.  I loved Sorento.  From Sorento, we took a half day trip to Pompei.  We also took a ferry to Capri.  After Sorento, we went to Positano and stayed for a few days.  Then we took a ferry to Salerno and then a train to Sicily where we stayed with Bernadette’s in-laws.  My mom and I had hoped to visit where her father is from, but it was not close by and our Italian was not up to par for trying to find our way around non-tourist areas.  Next time!  

                                                                              Pompei

 Sorento

On my way into the Blue Grotto, Capri
The Blue Grotto
 Capri
Positano
The train getting on the ferry going to Sicily!

Lipari, Eolie Isolde, Sicilia
Italy was beautiful and it was amazing to see, but I am glad to be back.  I missed my dogs so much!  I hope everything is well in blog land.  Ciao for now. 

Filed Under: Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Back to School Organizational Forms and Activities
Next Post: My Favorite/Must Have Picture Books »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Andi

    July 14, 2012 at 6:36 pm

    Wow! This is wonderful. So cool. Your mom is too cute! What a great trip. However, I don't think my knees could have handled going up those stairs. I'd have to pray just to be able to get onto the next step!
    Thanks for sharing this with us.
    ~Andi

  2. Tammy

    July 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm

    I love Sorento and Capri. Too bad you didn't make it to Florence as well. It's my favorite Italian spot.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm

      Next time Florence, I want to go to the Gucci outlet!

  3. Susan Moran

    July 14, 2012 at 6:54 pm

    I missed meeting you at the blogger meet up in Vegas, but I can see you were having a FANTASTIC trip in Italy! Looks like so much fun 🙂

    Your books at the giveaway during the meet-up were much appreciated by everyone there! Maybe next time I will get to meet THE Erica Bohrer in person!

    Susan
    T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 8:20 pm

      Awe, thanks Susan! I am so flattered.

      -THE Erica Bohrer …lol

  4. Lori Rosenberg

    July 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm

    Welcome home, Erica! Your photos are stunning! I'm sure your trip was all that and more, but, I can totally relate to missing the dogs! LOL! I'm sure they covered you with kisses!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

      Thanks Lori! I am such a dork, that I facetimed them in Sicily!

  5. YearntoLearn

    July 14, 2012 at 6:57 pm

    No matter how much fun I have on vacation I always look forward to getting home too.
    Thanks for sharing your Italian vacation with us. I've never been.

    Yearn to Learn Blog

  6. Nicole

    July 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm

    Oh my goodness Erica! It looks like you had a lot of fun – how beautiful!! I'm glad you're back safe!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm

      Thanks!

  7. Kimberly Santana

    July 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm

    GORGEOUS! It's nice to take a break every now and then 😉 Glad you're back!

    Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

  8. Lee Ann

    July 14, 2012 at 7:24 pm

    Wow! What a beautiful country!I love how the buildings are on the side of the mountain, and the Blue Grotto is amazing! Was the trip planned on your own or did you go through a travel person?

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm

      All the credit goes to my mom! She planned it. It was a bit like backpacking with luggage…hahah. We took trains, buses, and ferries to our stops. My mom pre-booked tours of the Coliseum and the Vatican, a must to skip the lines.

  9. Jill

    July 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

    Beautiful photos and beautiful family! Treasured memories – Thanks for sharing!

  10. Stephanie

    July 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm

    I too wish I could've met you in Vegas — Rachelle let everyone know that you really wanted to be there 🙂 But WOW does your trip sound awesome!! I've seen so many pictures of the Blue Grotto and always wanted to go. I was on a little travel spree of my own the past 3 weeks and having a blast but it always feels good to come home my own bed my poochie loves!

    ❤ -Stephanie
    Falling Into First

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm

      Haha, I love Rachelle!!! Yes, I so missed my own bed. It felt so comfortable. The Blue Grotto was beautiful but you had to pay to take a boat to the Grotto, then wait on the boat for over an hour for a little row boat (pay again) to take you into the Grotto and then you were in there for three minutes! There is a green and white grotto, too. We skipped out on those.

  11. iteachk

    July 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm

    Thanks for sharing your pics. We took a Mediterranean Cruise 5 years ago. You visited many of the places we visited in Italy. It is a beautiful place!

    • Erica Bohrer

      July 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm

      I think next time I would do a cruise, that way I would not have to take my luggage everywhere.

    • iteachk

      July 15, 2012 at 1:58 am

      That was the great thing. We also were able to not worry about communicating in another language. (Another language is not bad….but we were so tired at night, it was nice to be able to order our food in English and know what we were eating!) Spain and France as well as the islands are all beautiful!

  12. Lauren

    July 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

    Wow! Your pictures are amazing. I'm so glad you got to see all those beautiful places! Thanks for sharing!

  13. Kelley Dolling

    July 14, 2012 at 8:31 pm

    I loved getting to take a little "peek" at your awesome trip. Your photos are amazing. Thanks for taking a moment to swing by my bloggy-blog today. I am honored 🙂

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

  14. Bridget

    July 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm

    Hi! I am your newest follower and SUPER excited about it!! I am immediately jealous of your trip to Italy! Wow!! Such great pictures! The water over there is gorgeous!!!

    Bridget
    Little Lovely Leaders

  15. Chrissy

    July 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm

    What an amazing trip! The Blue Grotto is so pretty. Glad you had such a fun time!
    –Chrissy
    Firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

  16. Anonymous

    July 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

    I lived in Naples, Italy for three years when I was in high school and your pictures brought back so many memories. Thanks for sharing!

    M. Taylor – Georgia

  17. Jen

    July 14, 2012 at 10:45 pm

    I love Italy! I hope to get back there again soon. I am so glad that you made it back safely! 🙂
    ~Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids

  18. FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer)

    July 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm

    Beautiful Pics! And yes, we missed you! =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue Skies

  19. A Teacher Without a Class

    July 14, 2012 at 11:33 pm

    Beautiful pictures! I love Italy! I learned how to order ice cream in Italian. Welcome home!

  20. Miss Trayers

    July 15, 2012 at 12:39 am

    So jealous-that's a destination I've always wanted to visit. The pics are gorgeous. Looks like you had a wonderful time!:)

    http://notjustchildsplay.blogspot.com/2012/07/ice-breakers-for-first-day.html

  21. Jennifer Tilton

    July 15, 2012 at 1:52 am

    I am glad that you are back. I know that it was fun trip and you will have many memories. It looks like a beautiful place. That Blue Grotto is amazing. Thank you for sharing photos of your trip!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

  22. Mrs. Nunley

    July 15, 2012 at 2:36 am

    Wow! That was a trip of a lifetime! I am also your newest follower!
    -Megan

    First Grade Magic

  23. Liz

    July 15, 2012 at 4:17 am

    Wow! What a wonderful trip! I hope to get to Italy at some point!
    Liz
    Come check out my new blog Teaching in Valley

  24. S. Simpson

    July 15, 2012 at 6:12 am

    WOW your pictures are amazing. It looks like you had such a wonderful time. BTW, your catholic comment cracked me up. WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!
    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

  25. Traci

    July 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

    Wow! What a beautiful vacation! Wonderful pictures… that grotto…amazing!
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

  26. Melissa Sysling

    July 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm

    Your trip looks fabulous! Just wanted to let you know that I've given you a blog award. Love your blog!!

    Melissa
    Frogs in first grade

  27. Eileen Griffin

    July 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm

    Wow! Those are amazing pictures! I am so jealous. Welcome home! We all missed you!
    Eileen Griffin
    Second Grade Sunshine

  28. Irene Altman

    July 16, 2012 at 4:20 pm

    I loved seeing the pictures of your trip ! Especially the cat sanctuary 🙂 Your blog is awesome, btw!

  29. Kinderkay

    July 18, 2012 at 3:45 am

    Hi Erica!
    My son studied in Rome last semester and we had the opportunity to visit him there! Italy is BEAUTIFUL! Isn't it wonderful to have a little time to travel before school starts back up?

  30. A M Smith

    July 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm

    Hey Erica! I traveled to several of these places! The Trevi Fountain is so beautiful! I love Italy. I want to go back to take my husband!!!

    Ann Marie Smith @ Innovative Connections

  31. Cher Harrison

    July 22, 2012 at 8:03 am

    Thank you for sharing your trip with us! I hope to go to those places someday; everything looks so beautiful!

    -Cher

  32. Annie Murphy

    August 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm

    Hi Erica,

    Where do you get your big letters for titles on boards such as your different color polka dot birthday sign?

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs