• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Gingerbread Cookies

Those are supposed to be gingerbread men.  Cooking is not a talent of mine.  I dropped the first tray on the floor and apparently, I made the dough too thick and placed them too close together on the second tray.  Though both trays of cookies did not end up tasting bad, I could not use them for my gingerbread graphing.  It was kind of hard to tell what was a head and what was a leg!  
I took Michelle Oakes‘ advice and bought Little Debbie gingerbread men.  They worked out great.  The kids loved graphing where they bit first.  
       
After the graphing, we did Deanna Jump’s gingerbread science experiment.  The kids were so excited when his arm fell off!  They kept telling me that I was the best teacher ever.  It’s the little things that make kids happy 🙂
 Click {here} for my other gingerbread posts and some freebies!

Filed Under: Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Happy Hanukkah!
Next Post: Merry Christmas! »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Crayons and Curls

    December 21, 2011 at 7:54 pm

    My son has been begging me to make gingerbread cookies…YIKES! A little scared, but I am giving it a try for him! Wish me lots of luck! 🙂 For my class, we used the Little Debbie version also! 🙂
    Merry Christmas!
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

  2. A Teacher's Treasure

    December 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm

    It's just easier to purchase some things 🙂 looklike a great activity!

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

  3. Tanya

    December 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm

    I bought the Little Debbie Christmas Gingerbread for my graphing activity too. Sooo much easier than baking! I'll remember to get them again next year.
    ☺ Tanya
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

  4. Laurie

    December 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

    OMG!! This is exactly what happened to me the first time I tired to make them. I'm NO cook but thought I'd try. The first batch of dough was a mess, the second not much better. Mine also baked just like yours. I gave up and said never again. Haha.

    Much easier to ask a parent (who loves to cook) or buy them.

    Laurie
    http://firstgradelyonsden.blogspot.com/

  5. Barbara

    December 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

    I shouldn't laugh cause I'm not the world's best cook either, but those are funny funny pics! Thanks for sharing and putting a smile on my face 🙂
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

  6. Erika

    December 22, 2011 at 12:12 am

    After eating all the holiday treats around school, home, and everywhere in between, I kind of look like your puffy gingerbread men. Glad they taste good and you can enjoy them at least. I appreciate you letting us see the less than perfect side of you. 🙂
    2B Honey Bunch

  7. Michelle

    December 22, 2011 at 2:04 am

    Girl- some things are better left off to Little Debbie. I can bake but when things actually have to be in shapes, I'm terrible! Glad you found them.

  8. laughinbrunette (Jennifer)

    December 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm

    I love it! I think they look yummy! So what if they are more like gingerbread flowers!?
    You are too funny!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

  9. Stephanie

    December 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

    I used store bought ones for my graphing activity this year, but we also bake and decorate gingerbread men as a class every year – then they run away and leave notes for a few days till they come back. If you ever have the time/desire to try again, some of the tricks to good gingerbread men are putting parchment paper on the tray do they don't stick and freezing them for at least 20 minutes after cutting and putting them on the tray, but before baking. It helps them keep their shape. Glad you had fun with your kiddos anyway! Happy holidays!

  10. dbednars

    December 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm

    I love that you posted those pics. We all have things that don't come out the way we planned. Thank you for sharing all of your gingerbread activities.

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs