• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Star of the Week

I start off by being the first Star of the Week.  I have my Star of the Week display up for Meet the Teacher Night.  This is a great way for parents to get to know me better and serves as an exemplar for what is expected from the Star of the Week.  
To create the display, I printed the Star of the Week sign from my TpT Star of the Week Take Home Packet.  I decorated a “Read All About Me!” poster by Scholastic, and I shared some special photos.  I hot glued clothespins and clips to the board to hold the poster and photos.  If you look closely, the photo second from the right is me on my first day of first grade!  
I send the poster home in my Star of the Week Take Home Pack on Friday.  The pack includes a binder, parent directions, a journal page, the “Read All About Me!” poster, Star of the Week goodie bag, and a book, Star of the Week by Barney Saltzberg.
On Monday, we share the journal entry, the poster and the photos.  I let the Star of the Week sit in a bean bag chair in the Book Nook for the whole week (normally, the students are only allowed in the bean bag chairs during Book Nook center).  On Friday, each student creates a page of a class-made book about our Star of the Week, they use a Star of the Week File Folder Word Wall to help guided them with adjectives describing the Star of the Week.  The Star of the Week decorates a cover page.  I complete a page and then compile all the pages into a class-made book.  I send it home with the student on Friday.  *All of these pages are included in my Star of the Week Take Home Pack.  
To purchase my Star of the Week Take Home Pack for only $3, click {here}.


 

Filed Under: Back to School, Take-Home Packs, Teachers Pay Teachers, The Home-School Connection, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « I Think My Teacher Sleeps in School Class-Made Book
Next Post: Word Wall and Freebie »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Rachelle

    September 20, 2011 at 2:02 am

    So cute! I love it! My favorite is how you hang your pictures below with clothespins! Do you do that for your kiddos too?
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

  2. Erica Bohrer

    September 20, 2011 at 2:06 am

    Thank you!!
    Yes, I hang the students' photos there too. I ask each student to send in 4-5 photos.

  3. teacherking55

    September 20, 2011 at 2:11 am

    I just purchased it! I can't wait to use it! It looks so cute and useful! I just have to get the book, now.
    🙂 THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    🙂

  4. erin.

    September 20, 2011 at 2:14 am

    Perfect post Erica! My back to school night is this Thursday & I'm wondering how to approach "Star of the Week" in a new grade level [first]. Thanks so much for your fabulous ideas, heading over to TPT now! ! By the way, my cousin goes to Lindenhurst and is in first grade. I'm going to have to find out who her teacher is. Happy teaching!!

    🙂 Erin

  5. Grade ONEderful

    September 20, 2011 at 2:38 am

    Awesome idea, Erica. Just pinned it 🙂

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

  6. Kimberly

    September 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

    I'm giving you the Versatile Blogger award! Thank you for sharing your ideas and your hard work.
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

  7. yodajunkie

    September 23, 2011 at 11:07 pm

    I love your blog so much that I've nominated you for the "I Heart Your Blog" Award! Thank you so much for sharing your talents! Please visit my blog to accept your award. =)
    Sincerely,
    Rebecca @ http://teachingfirst-abc.blogspot.com/

  8. Kinderglynn

    September 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

    I just passed the Versatile Blog Award to you. Come on over and see: http://kinderglynn.blogspot.com/2011/09/versatile-blogger-award.html
    Donna

  9. Bethany McClure

    October 9, 2011 at 10:10 pm

    Love this! I purchased the posters this year from Scholastic and will love incorporating your materials with them! Thanks!

    -Bethany
    Learning is a Journey

  10. Leanne

    July 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm

    I LOVE this! How do you attach the clothespins to the bulletin board so they do not fall down? Thanks! Leanne
    22.lrosloniec@nhamail.com

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs