• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Back to School! Week One a Success!

School started for me on Tuesday with students coming in on Wednesday.  I have an awesome group of first graders this year.  I am also so lucky to have only 20 students.  My school was supposed to have three first grade classes and then when the budget passed we were able to get four!

A few people asked me for my schedule for the first week and I had emailed it to them over the summer.  I have updated it for this year and thought I would post it below.  Click on the photo of the plans to download.  Most of the activities in my plans are included in my Back to School Writing Prompts and Activities Packet on TpT.  I also incorporated Deanna Jump’s adorable Fun with Names Unit into the first week.

Read/Write the Room For Your Name (click {here} to purchase my Read/Write the Room Sheets). The girls are looking at an ABC File Folder Word Wall (click {here} to purchase them from TpT).  They are sitting in bean bag chairs purchased from Big Lots.

Art Center
This center is from the book below: 

My classroom jobs (Click {here} to purchase from TpT).  Every student in my class gets a job.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Trees and “___ my name is ___ and I like____.”  Both activities are from Deanna Jump’s Fun with Names packet.  Click {here} for her post. 
My Warning Board – I made the name cards by placing labels on bright card stock paper, cutting, and laminating.  The font is called Going Nuts and can be found by clicking on the Lettering Delights button to the left.  I add the “We are having a great day! We are following the rules to a polka dot scrapbook paper sheet and laminated.  To save money on laminating, I had to place two of the 20 students sideways.  This does bother me a bit, but I really did not want to have to pay to take it to Staples, when I have my own menu size laminator at home.  So, then I added velcro to the name cards and “We are having a good day” board.  To create the Warning Board, I used a small sheet of bright poster board I purchased from JoAnn’s Fabric.  I then mounted my warning labels onto the same black and white polka dot scrapbook paper.  I had to have this board laminated at Staples, because it was too big to fit in my laminator. 
These labels are included in my Polka Dot Classroom Labels and Signs packet from TpT.
This behavior system is based on Lee Canter’s Assertive Discipline

Filed Under: Back to School, Classroom Decor, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « Thank You and Where I Got the Polkadot Punch Out Letters!
Next Post: Remembering 9/11 for Primary Students »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Doodle Bugs Paper

    September 10, 2011 at 4:03 am

    There is nothing that makes me more happier than seeing a child with a clipboard hard at work.. :o) happy 1st week to you!!

    i start my 5th week on Monday.. I think we are finally settled in :o)

  2. Grade ONEderful

    September 10, 2011 at 4:20 am

    Thanks for sharing your time table. It's always really interesting to see how other people plan their day 🙂 I like yours ~ it resonates with the way I do things, too.

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

  3. Diane

    September 10, 2011 at 6:42 am

    Erica,

    I just love your blog and the things you share. I found out in June that I was transferring to another school and then first grade due to budget cuts. I was shocked! I had been 3rd grade and before that 4th grade. Reading your blog has helped give me an idea of what to do. Seeing what you do the first three days is great. I'm going to look at it and see if it gives me more ideas. We started this week, too. I survived the first three days! I am amazed at all of the behavior teaching that a first grade teacher needs to teach. This is so hard for me to do! I really like getting these students in a couple of years.

    I have bought many of your things. I discovered TpT in the spring and used some of them with my 3rd graders. I have recently bought some of your polka-dot things since I wanted to use polka-dots, too. I put the leveled circle labels on the DRA leveled books. Those really brighten up the room. I also put the owl sign on my door with the kids' names. How cute and simple. Others at school were commenting on it and even asked where I got them. Thanks for letting us know where you got your polka-dot papers. I'm new to making things using background papers. I went to an Apple training and showed them what I want to do, so now I can do a little bit of making things look nice. I also am new to blogging because I want to be a part of the postcard exchange. My blog is probably a little boring since I don't know how to post things, but I'm learning and hope it will get better.

    Thanks so much for all of your help as I learn how to teach first grade. You do give me some inspiration and hope that I'll figure out this grade!

  4. Jill

    September 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm

    Thanks for sharing your first three days!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

  5. Amanda

    September 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm

    I just finished my first three days also! Glad yours went well. Kiddies look like they are engaged and having fun in centers 🙂 I like your Read/Write the Room pages. Lots of different activities! Thanks!

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden <–new blog

  6. Lori Faas

    September 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm

    Hi Erica! I received a Versitile Blogger Award and wanted to pass it on to you. Thanks for being so inspiring to me. Head over to my blog!

    Lori
    http://bee-the-change.blogspot.com/

  7. Lisa Dodds

    June 24, 2012 at 12:42 am

    I would love to own book bins like you have. I have been stalking Big Lots in hopes of finding some, but no luck. Have you seen them anywhere else?

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

🧡🦃 A little fall gratitude + a whole lot of CUTEN 🧡🦃 A little fall  gratitude + a whole lot of CUTENESS! 🐿️🍂

This I Am Grateful Squirrel Craft is such a fun fall/Thanksgiving activity for your classroom! Students can share what they’re grateful for while creating an adorable fall squirrel craft that makes the cutest hallway or bulletin board display. 🍁✨

Perfect for:
🍂 Thanksgiving writing
🐿️ Gratitude activities
🧡 Fall classroom crafts
📚 Bulletin board displays
✏️ An October through November activity

Want to grab it for your classroom? 👇

💬 COMMENT “CRAFT” and I’ll send you the link!

#thanksgivingactivities #thanksgivingcraft #fallcraft #fallclassroom #thanksgivingactivitiesforkids
Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs