• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Ericas Ed-Ventures

Primary Education Ideas

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Classroom Decor Inspiration
  • Teacher Style
  • Shop
  • Contact

Surviving Hurricane Irene and Polka Dot Word Wall Labels

Sorry, I have been MIA.  My home was hit hard by Hurricane Irene.  I have a broken window, a hole in my roof, ceiling damage, and a broken fence.  I still do not have power; it may come back Saturday, the earliest!  The important thing is that my pets and I were unharmed.

Since, I am without power at my home, I brought my whole computer to my parents’ house. I have so many things I still want to make on my computer before school starts and I am going away for the weekend tomorrow night.  We go back to school on Tuesday and the students come in on Wednesday.  I am stressing!!  I just finished these word wall labels.  Click {here} to purchase from Teachers Pay Teachers.  The pop out letters are from Frog Street Press, as well as the polka dot borders.

Click {here} to see more photos of the new theme!
Here are a few photos of the hurricane damage.

Filed Under: Classroom Decor, Teachers Pay Teachers, Uncategorized

Previous Post: « You Get What You Get and You Don’t Get Upset!
Next Post: You Get What You Get and You Don’t Throw a Fit! »

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Kristen

    September 1, 2011 at 2:38 am

    Oh my gosh Erica, I was getting really worried about you. I'm so sorry to hear about all of the damage to your home, but I am glad you and your babies are ok! Good luck with getting your printing done and don't worry, everything is looking gorgeous and will come together!
    Kristen

  2. Kinderpond

    September 1, 2011 at 2:45 am

    Glad you and the pets are okay 🙂

    Jennifer

  3. Fran Kramer

    September 1, 2011 at 2:47 am

    Thank goodness you and your family are not harmed. I am so sorry about the damage but I am grateful your are fine. Catch your breath.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

  4. tmarie

    September 1, 2011 at 2:49 am

    I'm glad you made it thru the hurricane! I love the polka dots – that is the theme in my room!
    Tessa
    Spotlight on Kindergarten

  5. Sarah

    September 1, 2011 at 2:55 am

    I too am glad to hear that you are you furry friends are doing well! How is the school? So scary!
    Sarah Hetrick

  6. melissa

    September 1, 2011 at 3:08 am

    glad your ok !

  7. Hadar

    September 1, 2011 at 3:09 am

    Crazy! I'm glad you're okay! And I love your polka dot theme!!

  8. Grade ONEderful

    September 1, 2011 at 4:36 am

    Very glad to hear you're all fine 🙂

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

  9. Jodi

    September 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

    Oh my! I'm so glad you are your pets are ok! I hope everything is up and running soon and you have a great start to the school year!

    Jodi
    fun-in-first.blogspot.com

  10. Miss J

    September 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

    Glad you are ok!! You room is too cute!! Where do you find all of your polka dot stuff?

    Miss J @ smilescrayonsandendlessstories.blogspot.com

  11. Stephanie

    September 2, 2011 at 12:49 am

    Irene did come in with a mission…I'm so glad everything is O.K! I'm a passionate furry friend lover and am happy to hear they made it without harm. I do have one question…Where did you get the "Word Wall" lettering. I'm looking for something to download to make my classroom centers and place my name out above my door. I wanted to print the letters I need really big like yours! Where did you get these?

  12. Jenn Bates

    September 2, 2011 at 3:47 am

    I am so sorry to hear about the damage to your home! Try not to stress, it will all come together.
    Jenn
    Finally in First

  13. Ally

    September 3, 2011 at 1:38 am

    Glad you are okay. I'm also on Long Island and my area was a mess too. Just got hot water today!!! Those are adorable word wall labels.
    -Allyson
    Stickers and Stars

  14. Tanya

    September 4, 2011 at 4:56 am

    Oh Erica, I'm so sorry your home was damaged. I was thinking about you on Sunday as my power blinked in and out. You guys were really hit hard. I hope things get back to normal FAST. I'm relieved to hear you and your pet babies are safe though. Sending you good thoughts and prayers.
    ☺ Tanya
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

  15. Fern Smith

    September 5, 2011 at 11:05 pm

    Wow! You've had so much in such a short time! I popped over to see if you had received a Top 10…you are definately one of my TOP TEN!!! I really enjoyed catching up on your posts! Your blogs is looking great with your left hand side bar too! Hang in there, summer is on the way! {OK, in 9 months, but it is coming!}
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!

  16. Rolf Matchen

    January 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

    Oh, look at the damages that hurricane caused! Yes, you guys are still fortunate that no one was seriously hurt, in spite of all the damages. I wish you fix everything soon. By the way, that's a very nice word wall you have there.

Primary Sidebar

  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Search

Categories

Subscribe via Email

Featured Products

Disclosure: This website/blog contains affiliate links.  What that means is that when you click on a link to a merchant and purchase something, I get a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.

Footer

Latest on Instagram

Select a size tablecloth for your classroom! This Select a size tablecloth for your classroom!  This is great for messy projects or your pencil station table.  Want the link for this easy to use roll?  Comment LINK below.

#amazonfinds #classroomfinds
Bat themed activities and resources for first grad Bat themed activities and resources for first grade!  Want the links to everything you see?  Comment BATS below and I will DM you.

#bats
🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that 🍂🎃 Looking for a FUN fall read-aloud activity that’s ready to go? Meet Stumpkin! 🎃🍂

This FREE digital resource is packed with everything you need for a Halloween/fall themed morning meeting + reading response! 📚✨

🍁 Morning Meeting
🎃 Stumpkin read-aloud
✏️ Reading response
💬 Discussion & comprehension
🧠 Activities to keep your little learners engaged

And the best part… IT’S FREE! 🙌

Perfect for an October morning or a cozy Friday activity! 🍂

💬 Comment STUMPKIN and I’ll send you the link! 🔗

Save this Reel so you have it when you’re planning your October lessons! ❤️

#firstgradeteacher #firstgrade #firstgradeteachers #teacherideas  #morningmeeting
My students LOVE that game. I will hear a random My students LOVE that game. 

I will hear a random meow and say “remember, to keep your headphones on!”

#teacherhumor #iready
🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers ! I hav 🎂Happy 20th Birthday @teacherspayteachers !

I have been with TpT since 2008!  I remember looking for a place where I could share my computer created resources with other teachers without having to set up my own website.  TpT was suggested.  I started off with a few Microsoft Word created resources 😬. At the time, the founder of TpT, Paul and his brother Dana, were single-handedly running things. I loved getting their newsletters.

In 2009 I was in a NY times article for TpT about who owns the copyright to teacher’s lesson plan ideas…the schools or the teachers.  This was not the article the author or editors told me I would be in, but that is another story! 

I stuck with TpT and creating resources and then in 2011, the site really took off and I met all these other amazing teacher-authors and finally met Paul in real life! 

As a single homeowner on a teachers salary, I worked nights and weekends on TpT resources just to be able to afford to live in my little house.  Then something amazing happened, my hard work paid off and I was able to get myself some breathing room.  I am so grateful for TpT for giving my life purpose and financial freedom back in those days.  Even though I am married now, I am so proud of myself for being able to own that little house (I still have it and rent it out) and buy my forever home in my dream neighborhood all by myself.

So many of you found out about TpT and so many more sellers joined.  It truly became the open market place that Paul envisioned all those years ago. 

TpT is still a big part of my life all these years (and hair colors) later.  I know when I eventually retire from teaching, I will be able to do TpT full time.  I love creating and sharing resources (880 and counting) with all of you.

#happybirthdaytpt #tpt
Are you looking for editable parent-teacher confer Are you looking for editable parent-teacher conference slides? These slides will keep you focused, keep your conferences on schedule, and help you feel confident.  You can edit them to meet the needs of your classroom and then duplicate that for every student, adjusting the information as needed. 
Want the links?  Plus, I will send you my FREE editable reminder slips! Just comment LINK below and I will DM you :)

#parentteacherconferences
Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Ha Teachers, is your wing/team looking for an easy Halloween costume idea?  What about The Spice Girls and everyone wears an apron with a different spice!
🎃What other group costume ideas have you done at your school?
Want the link to these aprons, comment exactly SPICE below and I will DM you the link.  It is auto set to send only for that word.

#grouphalloweencostume #halloweencostumeideas
Follow on Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Website Design By Jumping Jax Designs